WorldAfricaNigeria: 56 dead in meningitis outbreak in Kebbi State

Nigeria: 56 dead in meningitis outbreak in Kebbi State

Type of event:
Disease/Outbreak, Public health

Victims

56

Wounded

653

Date

March 19, 2025

What happened

Local authorities have confirmed a meningitis outbreak in Kebbi State. Speaking to the press on March 19, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health, Dr. Shehu Nuhu Koko, said that 5 out of 17 samples sent to Abuja for analysis tested positive for the disease, giving definitive proof of the outbreak. After receiving the test results, the Kebbi State Government has activated a rapid containment strategy in cooperation with the World Health Organization (WHO), UNICEF, and other healthcare organizations. The strategy aims to establish isolation centers in affected areas and obtain supplies of vaccines and essential medicines. On this point, Dr. Koko said that local hospitals have already been provided with medical resources to curb the spread. Meanwhile, Governor Nasir Idris has approved the release of ₦30 million for drug procurement, surveillance operations, and allowances for healthcare workers at the forefront of the epidemic.
So far, there have been over 600 suspected cases of meningitis in the state and 56 deaths. The outbreak has spread across four local government areas and authorities are stepping up their efforts to contain it. In a public appeal, Dr. Koko asked relatives of patients not to visit them in isolation centers, preventing the further transmission of the disease.

Where it happened

Main sources