The meningitis outbreak in Nigeria continues to spread, with 74 deaths reported in 21 of the 36 country’s states. The data was disclosed on March 27 by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC). The north-west is the most affected region, with Kebbi, Katsina, and Sokoto bearing the brunt of the outbreak. Sani Datti, the Head of Corporate Communication at the NCDC, said the centre has dispatched several Rapid Response Teams (RRTs) to the three states to assess the situation and provide help. The NCDC has so far reported 807 suspected meningitis cases and 74 deaths across 21 states, including the federal capital Abuja, with a case fatality rate (CFR) of 9.2%. The centre noted that sample collection rates in the most affected states are relatively low, needing urgent action to enhance surveillance and diagnosis.
The Director General of NCDC, Jide Idris, said that the RRTs will remain in Kebbi, Sokoto, and Katsina for 14 days, with the possibility of extension if required. The teams, composed of specialists trained in managing meningitis cases, are working closely with states’ health authorities to curb the spread of the disease. Their objectives include rapid containment of the outbreak, strengthening infection prevention and control (IPC) measures, improving case management, enhancing sample collection, and raising awareness among local communities. Idris stressed the importance of strict adherence to IPC measures by the response teams to ensure their safety amidst the outbreak. He also assured Nigerians about the NCDC’s commitment to support state governments and partners to protect public health against emerging threats. The NCDC called on affected states to strengthen their health systems and collaborate with federal authorities in containing the outbreak.